Scholars for Excellence in Child Care Scholarship
The Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) Division of Child Care and the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE) partnered to provide a Scholars for Excellence in child care scholarship to give child care providers an opportunity to obtain additional credentialing and to pursue a Certificate of Mastery in child development and eventually an associate degree in child development (www.okhighered.org/scholars). The scholarship also includes coursework for students to complete a School-Age Certificate and Child Care Directors Certificate of Completion. The only program of its kind in the country, this collaboration with the OKDHS has as its goal increasing the quality of child care by enhancing the knowledge and professionalism of the individuals who work in childcare.
Partnering with the OSRHE and the OKDHS, Northern provides the necessary coursework for child care workers in the area to participate in the “Scholars for Excellence in Child Care" program.
Scholars Program Eligibility
To qualify for the Scholars program, child care providers must:
- Work in a one-star plus or above, OKDHS or tribal-licensed child care facility at time of application.
- Work as a teacher, family child care provider or director at least 30 hours per week earning $20.00 or less per hour.
- Be employed at a child care facility at least six months before beginning coursework.
- Once approved, be on a child development or early childhood education plan of study.
Note: Due to the availability of education and training funds, employees from federally funded child care programs are not eligible to participate in the scholarship.
Scholars Program Benefits
- Support services and technical assistance from Scholars program coordinators.
- Networking with other child care professionals.
- Scholarships for coursework at career technology centers for the Pathway to CDA program.
- Scholarships for coursework at community colleges and for the CDA Credential Assessment.
- Academic advisement.